Sunday, September 20, 2015

Long time no post!

Well, everybody, I cannot post photos to blog posts from my smartphone's Blogger app. It malfunctions every time I try. So, sorry... badger Stephen to make a post!! Hehehhh-- he may not reply to Facebook posts, but he reeeads theeem

So! Here's a tidbit about Copenhagen, Denmark & Bretagne, France.

To me, most of the area of Denmark we were in seemed like a version of San Francisco, except with older infrastructure. And some palaces. There were people out and about, & a hippy-ish vibe was in the air. We found some cool old buildings and there were lots of beautiful green spaces and parks, including a maze! I felt like I was in Harry Potter, and ran to the center of the maze with Cedric. ...except Cedric didn't die-- we never touched the portkey......

Anyway!

We arrived in France beginning of this past week, in Pleurtuit-- at the tiniest airport! The Airbnb host there had the funniest family & cleanest home, but they spoke almost no English. It was interesting to communicate with them and figure out rides!  Google Translate was a our friend. We got a 2-hour-ish ride through an app called Blablah car for around 10€ each to Quimper, and spent the day there until we were picked up by the owner of the farm we are now staying at. Old town Quimper was pretty cool. We got some nice photos :)

The farm is near Pleyben. It's a farm with dairy goats! But the weather reeeally reminds me of Humboldt. When I got out of the car, heading toward Quimper, for the first time, I exclaimed, "Smells like McKinleyville!" (Or, at least, that's what I exclaimed in my mind)

At the farm, we do a few different types of tasks. The first day, I made cheese and sorted wool. Stephen worked on installing a beam into a farm building that's being converted into a living area (I think) and milked goats. Besides that, I've also done a bit of harvesting of tomatoes, etc., and we helped with making bread. And they make a lot of bread. Those are the biggest masses of dough I think we'll ever knead..!

And, speaking of bread, they do NOT make the typical "French bread"  you might imagine...oh, no. It's like gnawing in leather. For reals. Even when it comes fresh out the oven some loaves are hard to chew. And we only bake once a week because it's old school-- huge wood oven that you could fit 5 people inside of..! So they bread gets harder with each day, until the next baking day arrives. If we still haven't finished off the old stuff by then, we have to keep eating it until it's finished off! Oh, bread.... Why you so dense and hard?....

Besides bread, we eat lots of vegetables and cheese here. And the tomatoes are delicious. Almost everything is from the farm.

Here's what I've learned so far:
1. Not disturbing old ladies can be a challenge! (The mother of the farmer--both grew up here-- lives downstairs & prattles off in French at the turn of a hat! But she seems nice enough when not disturbed)
2. Cheese making is truly a science.
3. Milking a goat is dang hard. Learning how to even start to do it took a bit!
4. The hills in this area are pleasing to the eye.
5. Never trust a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment